Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Eye of the storm

Number of days since chemo = 26
Number of days until surgery = 13
Length of hair (in mm) = 1

I'm sitting here in the eye of the storm waiting. This is an eerily calm period between chemo and surgery where I don't have a lot going on. I don't know what to do with myself, I only have about one doctors' appointment a week. My blood counts are bouncing back up. I can tell because I'm only sleeping 8 hours a night (yes, only 8). My little hairs are trying so hard to grow. I'm feeling better. I'm working full time.

I've had the pre-op meeting with my plastic surgeon so I have an idea of what to expect for surgery. To prep I basically need to avoid blood thinners and bulk up on vitamins. I'll be in the hospital for what I expect to be 2 days. Then lots of pain, sleeping, and healing.

I had my blood taken by the vampires today for the BRCA genetic test so I should get those results in two weeks. I also learned a new fun fact today: People with larger than normal heads are more likely to be genetically predisposed for breast cancer. The nurse practitioner measured my head, it's pretty normal sized.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Cristal,

    Just to say, and hopefully reassure, that I was surprised that my mastectomy wasn't as painful as I was expecting. I hope that helps and good luck

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're almost there! You go gogogogogogo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "People with larger than normal heads are more likely to be genetically predisposed for breast cancer."

    Uh-oh. My girlfriend has an ENORMOUS melon. I wonder if I should be concerned...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    Daniel and I will be praying that all will go well for your surgery tomorrow and that you will have a speedy recovery!!

    ReplyDelete